I was honored to be a guest on Praxis behind the Obscure with Ryan. We had an in-depth discussion about angelic magic, specifically on getting started with Enochian, working with the Holy Guardian Angel, and crossing the Abyss. I hope you can check it out. Enjoy!
So this is all kind of new to me, but I have just had a strong intuitive sense that working on the rainbow body is the next step in my journey. There really aren’t as many rules along a spiritual journey here as you might think, so cultivating discernment and presence of mind are key.
I have generally been trying to take an integrative approach to this process, and I have dialed back my brute-force meditation in order to focus on parts of myself that have been neglected. Still, along the way I’ve been focusing on a daily prayer. I also have been charging sigils to create, perfect, and inhabit the rainbow body as I go along.
Nonetheless, I sort of know when progress is being made and when it isn’t, and right now two weeks is a little too long to get a sense that I’m moving. The usual option for a lack of progress is divination, such as the I Ching, Tarot, or horary astrology. In my case, because it was so personal, I added an energetic self-scan to the I Ching reading; the latter had a short-term “Nourishing/Waiting” hexagram (5), with changing lines to Grace (22). The self-scan indeed revealed a need to upgrade my initiation into the lower sephiroth of Hod, which will happen tomorrow (Mercury rules Hod and so it is ideal on Wednesday) and, given the I Ching‘s reply, should be successful. So I’ll do that tomorrow and will see whether another initiation into a lower sephira is needed.
Why would a lower sephira need further initiatory work? Well, I’m coming to think that the Rainbow Body, which seems to include Ain, Ain Sof, & Ain Sof Aur, needs to include a very well integrated Tree of Life on the part of the practitioner. After all, the sephiroth are the same light in different parts of the spectrum.
Once again, note that I am trying to be flexible, like the Wu Wei, and am willing to add a variety of additive or, ideally, multiplicative approaches to the task at hand. Yet I’m not spreading myself too thin. I have noted before that I have bipolar disorder and so I have worked on managing it of late with extra runs, which delays progress, but that’s what the I Ching noted anyway.
Just today I noticed that my Holy Guardian Angel has been stirred towards unfolding (which it was for the first rainbow body call) and I believe that this is coinciding with the likely results from tomorrow.
I’ll update you as I can.
So this is a question I’ve given some thought to: how quickly should one progress in magick? How far, how fast? What should you get into?
Having tried several things in magick, I can recommend the following:
1. Meditation (at the beginning and throughout your journey, perhaps to be foregone towards the end). Vipassana & Raja (one or the other), once or twice a day. I also recommend using simple pranayama techniques to relax one’s mind and emotional state, and then mentally confronting emotional triggers (i.e., “Why do I get angry about this? Is this really me, or am I just attached to [XYZ]? Does my emotional intensity match the situation?”) at least once a week for at least a year. Don’t be afraid to go deep. This will start clearing your mind of identifications that do not match who you are, and the best part is, you’re doing the clearing, so you are in control. It’s also good to talk through your insights with good friends.
Allllsoooo…therapy, especially as you get to the weirder stuff: find a therapist who doesn’t judge the woo.
Congratulations, your mind is now on a path towards healing.
2. Groundedness practice. (added) I recommend also doing some groundedness meditation (such as imagining roots growing from your feet into the earth and drawing in from the infinite amount of energy available that which you need). To complement this, spend time walking outside, gardening, etc., to stay in touch with the real world.
Congratulations, you’re able to live in reality.
3. Hatha yoga. The mind and body are intimately connected. In general, you will want to be in excellent physical shape, so if you can, Hatha yoga regularly, do cardio at least twice a week, and add in strength training (always talk to your doctor about exercise). Give yourself a couple of months to get in good (or better) physical shape. Obviously this depends on whether you are disabled, but think about how you can get in touch with your body.
Congratulations, you’re working on integrating your body and mind.
4. Sigils (as needed). After about a month of meditation, teach yourself to make a sigil (the Austin Osman Spare method is easy to learn, but others exist). They are easy, they are cheap, they will work with beginner’s luck. Start with something simple at the “5% probability” level and charge it the easy way (look at it during the “big O“).
Congratulations, you’re empowering yourself.
5. Learn (and DO) banishing (regularly, but eventually to be largely eschewed). A few weeks after your sigil, note the degree to which it was successful (you can do more, but for serious things). Then learn the Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram (LBRP). After you have started a daily meditation practice, for at least a month, start learning the LBRP. It’s not that complicated. Use flash cards to memorize directions, angel names, and the like.
Then do it for the first time. Don’t be surprised if you experience some clairaudience: I definitely did my first time and I had a huge WTF moment! Once you have it memorized and can perform it fluidly, it should not take more than five minutes. Start off doing that on a weekend, then add it to your “stack” and do it once a day (ideally before a meditation), then twice a day (morning and night). If you’re not in your own place, do it silently. If space is an issue, you can do it imaginally. Later, learn the Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Hexagram (LBRH).
Congratulations, you’re starting to determine your circumstances.
6. Study the elements and astrology. The classical elements are fundamental to the LBRP, and now is the time to understand what they are about. It’s good to learn about them in conjunction with astrology, because there is some overlap. For that, The Astrology Podcast is excellent. Take their significations of the signs (parts 1 & 2), the planets, the houses (parts 1 & 2), then the ones on sect, essential dignities, and then look into the aspects. This will help you understand the LBRH. It will also help you understand the astrological forces, whether they are “good” for a working and invoked, or whether they are bad and should be banished. This will take some time, definitely no less than three months, probably no less than six.
Congratulations, now you understand how circumstances can arise.
7. Raising & balancing consciousness. (added) At this point, I also would recommend slowly adding in the Middle Pillar Ritual at this point. Once a week, then twice, then daily. The idea is to start raising your awareness. It’s very important to balance this with the groundedness meditation I previously mentioned.
Congratulations, you’re developing perspective on circumstances.
8. Start thinking about your True Will. Your understanding of astrology will come in handy now. Jason Louv offers a course on this, which is excellent.
Congratulations, now you know how you want to change circumstances.
9. Holy Guardian Angel ordeal. By now you should at least have a couple of years into your studies. I really can’t recommend this enough, but I probably wouldn’t recommend this for someone who hasn’t yet had their Saturn return. Knowledge and Conversation of your Holy Guardian Angel is the first great feat of the Western magickian, according to Crowley. I recommend the Abramelin operation (I was told by my HGA to forego the demon-binding portion of the operation, as was James Eshelman). It is an ordeal, and should only be undertaken when you can. Modify it as you can for your circumstances: the original presumed so much wealth but a sincere effort to have the key aspects of the ritual (isolation, prayer, etc.) is vital. Congratulations, now you have an ally in reaching towards your true nature.
10. Enochian. Having done all of this work, you might decide to take up Enochian. It’s complicated. It’s a lot of work. But it’s worth it, soooo worth it. I’ve written before that I consider it the key to plugging in to the great Western and Eastern accomplishments (such as a Chokmah initiation and the rainbow body–a Tibetan Buddhism arising–respectively). Congratulations, you are now on the path to reaching your true nature.
You may be surprised that I have left off this list other things such as talismans (I do them, but these are not necessary), alien contact, past-life regression, and so many others. I just don’t think that they are necessary, and may even side-track from paths to some core insights. I’m willing to change my mind on this, and I’ll let you know if I do.
Having worked with different systems of angelic magick (including the Shem Hamphorasch and, of course, Enochian), part of me has wondered how the different systems relate to one another. Having requested this of God for the last few weeks, I received a vision of a spiral emanating from a center point, and am receiving the following transmission:
“All things proceed from the Center that is God, the solar God, the God balanced across All. Behold the angels who proceed, radiating from this Center, first from this pure-light Center, then turning at the four quarters, until, having completed these turns, they complete the wheel.
“The angels of the Shem Hamphorasch, they proceed from the Holy use of this same turning of the Holy Logos.
“The angels of the angelic language [Enochian], also proceeding from this spiral, but from a many-dimensional spiral emanating from this Center.
“Every angelic system can be found to correspond with this emanation from the Center, and followed back thereto.”
I thought I’d mention something that I hadn’t seen in the literature before (if someone has a link that goes into this particular effect, feel free to leave it in the comments). I only mention it on account of this happening to me twice, so I can’t write it off as a fluke. After some time working with the Aethyrs–indeed, as part of scrying the later Aethyrs a second time–I found that my Holy Guardian Angel (Knowledge & Conversation, or K&C, happening over a year earlier) had enfolded himself around my energetic body and took on a subtler role.
Usually, I think of K&C as relating to a being who can always be a go-to buffer against the spiritual realm, acting as both intermediary and protector against spiritual forces, as well as an entity who can always bring clarity and add to one’s intuitive power. The HGA is an agent of God who, after the K&C has been permanently stabilized in your awareness on an at-will basis, has all of these Divinely orchestrated powers at its disposal. However, it seems that I have sufficient understanding to have my HGA operate at a subtle level, and my HGA needn’t be constantly called up for protection or clarification–he can simply operate in the background instead.
This didn’t quite make sense (hey, it’s magick), but simply subtly directing my attention towards him increases his energy, and I know that, if I decided it was necessary to speak further, he could unfold and speak to me as a distinct being.
What I have been doing of late is a semi-regular, once every week or two re-scrying of the Aethyr of LIL (in addition to meditation about 5 or 6 times a week–nobody’s perfect!). This has been going on for a few months. I just find it helpful to deepen the Kether awareness, and see where it takes me. The most recent time I scried the governors of this Aethyr (Occodon, Pascomb, & Valgars) went ahead and did the same thing that my HGA had, enfolded themselves about my energy system. I’m not entirely sure what it’s about, but, much like when my HGA did so, I welcome their sustained presence as a blessing and an honor. Obviously these n-dimensional entities are capable of being in more than one place at once, and this sort of thing could happen to another magician, so I’m not worried about this suggesting any sort of limits to the system.
If anyone else has gone through this, let me know. Whenever I scry LIL, the governors tend to form a tetrahedron about me (as does God via three aspects, in all making a Merkaba): the Enochian system is very geometry-heavy. This latest development, however, seems more permanent and not limited to scrying. If I determine the intent behind this, I will add a later post.