So I was thinking about how to improve some foundational work. There’s probably no limit to how much a foundational technique can be practiced, if done with attention. I decided to say a mantra, and–keeping it simple–I decided to try to improve on my Om:
- Inhalation as you drop mouth simply (“Ah” shape to mouth, don’t vibrate yet). If you can, visualize a small (5 cm or 2″) hemisphere that is ironically forming away from your mouth.
- Shape mouth into “O” (which is halfway between “Ah” & “U” (which sounds like the “oo” as in fool) vowel shapes) and vibrate the “O” sound. I always tell people your voice should have a slight vibrato–not a huge one like an opera star but not like simple humming, either. Imagine the other half of the sphere now forming, touching about where your mouth is.
- Slowly reduce the size of this “O” until you are forced to briefly make the “Uu” sound as your mouth closes. Continue visualizing the sphere completing its formation.
- Mouth closed (nearly a kiss shape), continue vibrating. Your sphere can now gain luminosity and color. It should also have a gentle shadow to it and feel balanced. Allow lips to return to simple closed state (i.e., neutral) and continue humming “M.” The sphere floats away,
- Drop mouth again & inhale, repeat 1-4.